Monday 18 July 2011

Making Decisions


Lately I have been having difficulty making decisions. This is not something I am accustomed to. I put it down to age and experience. More honestly, I have no idea why this is happening. To help you see what kind of thing I'm having difficulty with, I'll cite an example.

For a few months I have been piggy-backing on someone else's internet connection. It was a perfectly equitable arrangement. I'm not planning to stay where I'm living for any significant amount of time; not making a home or settling down or anything like that. I paid a buck and got connected, someone else got the bill and had the responsibility. Perfect.

Not perfect now. My friend moved on. Connection gone. I have no internet. Right now I am in a bar and plugged into their connection. I'm having a drink because that's what you do in bars. I can't be here too long or I'll have many drinks, and when not in company that can only be a bad thing.

So, should I get a connection at 'home?' No, I don't want that; I don't want to commit to a contract and the installation charges are excessive, in my opinion. I don't want any of the other things they are trying to sell me, including a phone line for a non-existent phone. Like most people in this wonderful modern age, I have a mobile for the phone thing.

How about a dongle/mobile connection? Well, I'm in two minds about that as well. I'm not in favour of contracts - I don't plan to stay in this country for a full year, for one reason - which leaves a pay as you go option. My first thought was and is, how do I monitor cost? How do I know what I'm getting for my money? And I can't tell - they don't measure it in time spent on line, I'd have to monitor the situation over time. And then, when I do leave the country the item purchased (all be it for a mere twenty bucks) would be all but useless. I have flashcards, so the fact that it doubles as such doesn't cut any ice with me.

It's been a couple of weeks. No internet except in a bar. I cycle through the above over and again but so far I have made no decision; at least, no decision that I have acted on.

I'm having problems making decisions, do you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment